The Hadassah Organisation mourns with the entire Jewish community, the 11 Jews murdered by a gunman in the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.
The Pittsburgh synagogue shooting is being prosecuted as a hate crime and not as domestic terrorism. He screamed, “all Jews must die”, as he fired at members of the congregation gathered for morning Shabbat services.
The victims have been named and Hadassah International NZ send their families and friends and all the members of the Pittsburgh Jewish community our heartfelt condolences after this tragedy.
How sad for New Zealand we have no politicians willing to publicly decry anti-Semitism. In Australia both the government and their opposition have issued press statements condemning it.
There has been not a murmur from our New Zealand Labour/Green/NZ First coalition government nor from the National opposition.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.
We mourn the loss of:
· Joyce Fienberg, 75, Oakland neighbourhood, Pittsburgh
· Richard Gottfried, 65, Ross Township
· Rose Mallinger, 97, Squirrel Hill neighbourhood, Pittsburgh, a holocaust survivor
· Jerry Rabinowitz, 66, Edgewood Borough
· Cecil Rosenthal, 59, and David Rosenthal, 54, brothers, Squirrel Hill
· Bernice and Sylvan Simon, 84 and 86, married, Wilkinsburg
· Daniel Stein, 71, Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh, husband of Sharyn Stein an active Hadassah member
· Melvin Wax, 88, Squirrel Hill, City of Pittsburgh
· Irving Younger, 69, Mount Washington neighbourhood, Pittsburgh